Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Free Day in Syndey

After anticipating the arrival to Sydney, I was finally here.  It didn't quite sink in yet because the weather was slightly dreary, but here I was, almost 24 hours away from home. The first day was spent visiting the Barracks where the convicts were housed for several decades, and then a visit to the Australian Museum was a must. i love natural history museums, so I was quite excited to be there. The next day held surprises at the Aquarium and the Taronga Zoo. Being able to see kangaroos and wallabies up close and personal was mind-blowing. The ferry system is quite efficient and well used as compared to back home, and it was a nice change of pace to sit and enjoy the harbor while traveling to different locales.
So my first free day was spent traveling to Manly Beach, where the waves were surfer-quality and the sun was shining. On the "boardwalk", I experienced my first taste of Swiss ice cream from Movenpick. It was similar to gelato, but there were chunks of chocolate in the ice cream, which was better than I expected. The views from Sydney Harbor are amazing, in the day and especially at night. Seeing the Opera House up close and personal was absolutely incredible.  It finally hit me here that I was in Australia, the land down under. I could not contain my excitement as I bounded up the stairs of the Opera House to touch it.  After a stroll through the Botanical Gardens. the day ended at the Australian Hotel in the Rocks. My bacon and pineapple pizza tasted much better than it looked. 


Shelby Pavan

No comments: