Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Great Barrier Reef?!

Ever heard of the Great Barrier Reef? Yeah. Its got the word Great in it for a reason .. although I personally think Great is an understatement. I have to say - getting scuba certified just for the heck of it last year - best decision I ever made. Rachel, Al and myself all got to go off on our own with our Dive Master Russell (which apparently is the name that ALL awesome guides get) to explore some things further down below than everyone else. Although it was darker than being up top, and the colors weren't as vivid as they are closer to the surface - the ecosystem that's been formed over a few hundred years .. pretty friggin' cool. If only I had more sets of eyes - sooooo much to be seen in only an hour and a half of Open Water diving. Oddly enough though, as I was swimming along observing all the amazing life to the left of me - I turned to the right and saw nothing .. Quite a scary realization - here I was in between the vast never ending ocean and the greatest natural barrier in the world. How awesome is that though? Its crazy to think that everything I've ever dreamed of doing ever since I could barely even talk - I've done in only two weeks time. Sadly, that means we only have two weeks left, and to be honest, I will probably bawl my eyes out the moment I step on the plane (but don't tell anyone, cuz that's not what I do). Cairns is really sweet, and I'm glad Charlie decided to save all the "best stuff" for last .. I can't wait to see what the next two days entail - the Daintree River followed by a day full of Horseback riding and white water rafting. You can bet I'm pretty excited. =)

Lots of love from Aussieland! - Jen


Ps. Nemo - WAYYYYYY cuter in person. =D

--
Jennifer Loveless '11
1 Park Place
Elmira College
Elmira, NY 14901

No comments: