Friday, May 7, 2010

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Today, May 7, we spent our day at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane. It is an amazing place and I had a lot of fun interacting with different Aussie animals. I got to hold a koala, a baby crocodile, and a snake. Koalas are defiantly as cute and cuddly as I thought they would be, however they were not as soft and good smelling as I had envisioned them to be. They smelt like eucalyptus which is all their diet consists of and they were not soft but rather had a rough feeling to their fur. I held a male koala which is larger than the females and it also has a brown patch on its chest. On top of holding these animals, I also got the chance to get up close to kangaroos, emus, and wallabies and feed them. A kangaroo is much softer than a koala and it reminded me a lot of what a puppy feels like. They were very friendly although one kangaroo was so determined to get food from me that it dug into my hand with its claws and scratched me and in the end got what it wanted...food from me.
-Amy Chipman-

No comments: